Our missionMeet staff
The Church of Saint Luke: A Stewardship Parish
Our parish is composed of people like us, we all make it what it is. It will be friendly if we are friendly. It will be holy if we are holy. Its pews will be filled if we all help fill them. It will do great work if we all work. It will be prayerful if we pray. It will make generous gifts to many causes if we are generous givers. It will bring others into its worship if we invite and bring them in. It will be a parish of loyalty and love, of fearlessness and faith, of compassion, charity, and mercy, if we, who make it what it is are filled with these same things. Therefore, with the help of God, we dedicated ourselves to the task of being all the things that we want our parish to be.
Area Catholics, belonging to the Diocese of Philadelphia, travel to Easton, PA or Oxford, NJ to attend Mass.
The first Church of Saint Matthew was built on the corner of Brown and South Courtland Streets in East Stroudsburg, a wooden frame building with a seating capacity of around 200. Priest celebrates Mass here once a month.
The Church of Saint Mark of Delaware Water Gap was created as the first mission of The Church of Saint Matthew.
The Church of Saint John of Bushkill was created as the second mission of The Church of Saint Matthew.
Ground breaks for the construction of the new Church of Saint Matthew on Ridgeway Street, East Stroudsburg.
The Church of Saint Luke of Stroudsburg was created as the third mission of St. Matthew's.
Bishop McCormick divides parishes from The Church of Saint Matthew and The Church of Saint Luke becomes a parish and is charged with the people of Stroudsburg and Delaware Water Gap. Fr. Francis Barrett is appointed the first pastor of the Church of Saint Luke which now has 300 registered families in the parish.
The Church of Saint Luke forms their first Parish Council.
Fr. Thomas Stahurski is appointed to The Church of Saint Luke as an associate since the parish has grown to 800 families.
Fr. Thomas Stahurski is transferred and Fr. Joseph Verespy is sent to fill his vacancy.
Fr. Joseph Verespy is transferred and Fr. Thomas McLaughlin is sent to fill his vacancy.
CAMPAIGN FOR HOPE raises funds to build a new parish center (presently known as The Father Francis Barrett Center).
The Church of Saint Luke reaches 1100 registered families and 350 students are enrolled in the religious education program.
New parish center is dedicated as the Fr. Francis Barrett Center on October 18, 1985.
The parish grows to 1500 families
The Church of Saint Luke Soup Kitchen opens it's doors and serves those in need of a weekly meal.
The Church of Saint Luke is renovated to increase capacity from 425 to 600 and the hall (presently the Jacques Center) is renovated to increase dinner capacity from 175 to 275 and meeting attendance seating capacity from 225 to 325.
Fr. Francis Barrett retires and Fr. Thomas McLaughlin appointed pastor.
Fr. Carmen Perry arrives at The Church of Saint Luke
Parish grows to 1800 registered families, 6,000 individual members
Dedication of the Icon of Saint Luke
On July 1, 2000 the Dedication of the Edward and Mary Driebe Center for Worship and Ministry
A 45-foot high Millennium Cross is erected at the front of the church marking the start of the third millenium.
Fr. Thomas McLaughlin retires and Fr. Carmen Perry is appointed pastor.
The Church of Saint Luke celebrates its 50th Anniversary.