History


The Church of Saint Luke was founded in 1968 as a parish Church to serve the needs of the growing community of Stroudsburg and its environs. The parish was established by The Most Reverend J. Carroll McCormick, D.D., at that time the Bishop of Scranton.

Our Church has served the community since 1952 when it was first constructed as a mission Church of St. Mathew's parish in East Stroudsburg. In 1995 our Church is called to serve the changing needs of more than 1800 families from throughout the region. The parish has over 6,000 individual members.

In 1985 members of the parish community joined in a special effort called the "Campaign for Hope". This project raised th needed funds for the construction of the Father Francis Barrett Center which now serves as a center for much parish activity. It houses our Parish offices, religious education classrooms, a Day Care Center and provides space for our ministry offices as well as Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Monroe County. This Center has been lovingly named in honor of the first Pastor--Monsignor Francis G. Barrett.

In 1991 our Church itself completed a two year expansion and renovation project--"The Project 2000: A Caring Community Responds" It was dedicated on December 1, 1991.

This effort of our church members expanded the Church to seat over 650 and to allow our church hall to serve 250 persons. It sought pledges for over one million dollars. Both the Fr. Barrett Center, as well as our expanded Church were dedicated by out Bishop--The Most Reverend James C. Timlin, D.D., Bishop of Scranton.

In 1994 our parish community began a program of Stewardship--sharing time, talent and treasure for the growth of our faith.


Return to St Luke's Main Page